An Inspiration

Our cousin Jay Mickens, released his latest album last night at Mexicali Live in New Jersey, and I am left feeling nothing but love and admiration for him and for our family as a whole.  Jay has been working relentlessly on this album as a means of therapy to cope with the loss of his father, his mother and our dad, John David Seigler, who all passed away within the same year of one another.  The grief that we felt as a family was so profound and so jarring that we could have taken a negative path in our lives after the tragedies that we experienced, but we didn't.  We became stronger, more united, more convicted and more alive.  Our bond is undeniable and defines the meaning of the word family.
After his mother passed away, Jay tried to go to a traditional talk-therapist but found that this was not the proper or successful form for him to release his feelings and emotions.  He finds that the best way for him to express himself is through music.  To me, creating music and/or art is one of the most productive and beautiful emotional outlets, especially if you have a God-given talent and the ability to successfully do so, both of which Jay obtains.  Jay took it upon himself to make a promise to  go to the music studio every Wednesday, no matter the circumstances or emotional baggage, and record a new song.  Every Wednesday, he kept his promise to himself and did just that.  What he created is nothing short of inspiring and admirable. His album, to me, is the definition of resilience, strength, growth and an undying love for his parents and our father.  I woke up this morning feeling so inspired by Jay's creation.  I too, express my emotion through the arts and even got my Bachelors degree in exactly that; Art Therapy.  This affirms my certainty that I belong to a family that fits who I am, seamlessly.  We lift each other up, we support each other, we are always there for one another.  I love my family and am so, so proud of what we are all creating out of the tragedies that we endured.  Jay's album release and concert last night has inspired me to do more of what I am most passionate about.  From here on out, I promise myself that each week I will do more writing,  create more art and finally start recording songs with my beautiful husband.  Thanks for including Jacobs bass recordings and our names in the special thanks portion of your album, but more importantly, thanks for the inspiration, Jay.










Comments

Popular Posts